The clubhouse at the Amsterdam Municipal Golf Course sustained extensive water damage due to frozen pipes which burst in the kitchen and drained down into the basement sometime last week.
At Monday’s golf commission meeting, Golf Professional Kevin Canale said toilets in both the men’s and women’s restrooms have been damaged. The kitchen floor and the floor under and around the bar were also saturated and will need to be replaced. Approximately three feet of water in the basement flooded the furnace and water heater. Canale added that department of health inspectors will be looking at the two walk-in coolers at the restaurant, one in the basement, an the other on the first floor, to see if the insulation has been compromised which would require them to be replaced as well.
The city has hired a contractor, Servicemaster, to stabilize the situation by pumping water out of the basement and raising the temperature of the club house using temporary heaters and a generator. The power was shut off temporarily as safety precaution due to the water.
How the pipes became frozen, and what the cost of the damage will be has not yet been determined. Canale said an insurance representative has been out to the building, but due to the severity, another higher-level representative will still need to assess the damage.