- Council members all voted no at Tuesday’s meeting on a resolution that would override Mayor Michael Villa’s four line-item vetoes of changes made by the council to the proposed 2016-2017 budget. Alderman Ed Russo was the only member to express concern at the meeting over Villa’s veto of the council’s restoration of a second police dispatcher position and his request to transfer the majority of those funds to the police department’s overtime budget. Villa cited the opening of the Mohawk Valley Gateway Overlook pedestrian bridge as a situation that in his estimation, may require a 20% to 30% increase in overtime hours from officers. Russo questioned whether staffing the dispatcher’s position would save the city money on overtime. Both Villa and Police Chief Greg Culick said that there would be not be any significant savings.
- Council members voted to hire the EFPR Group to perform audits of the city’s finances for four fiscal years. The firm will first complete the audit for 2013-2014’s records for a fee of $25,500, and then the next three years for a fee of $30,500 each.
- The council approved the allocation of $32,800 of city funds to be used to complete a new park on East Main Street. The effort to build the new park, which was spearheaded by Fifth Ward Alderman Jim Martuscello, has so far been funded through private donations. At the meeting, Martuscello credited Controller Matt Agresta for suggesting that funds from a recent health insurance refund received by the city be allocated for the project.
- The council voted to allocate up to $4000 to be used toward an electronic records management system which will be shared by the City of Amsterdam, Montgomery County, Town of Amsterdam, and Town of Florida. The system will scan and store digital images of records that each municipality is required to retain either permanently or on a long-term basis. The county is currently pursuing a grant for the system.
- The council approved the auctioning of Department of Public Works equipment that is no longer needed, as well as one fire truck that Fire Chief Michael Whitty said is no longer usable. The council set a date of June 28 for the auction.
Upcoming EventsCurrent Month
Esoteric One Day Zen Class – Resolving Our Health Crisis – A Health Methodology for Everyone * Attain divine energy * Relieve chronic diseases and pain * Optimize genetic cells * Re-activate your body's ability to
Event DetailsEsoteric One Day Zen Class – Resolving Our Health Crisis – A Health Methodology for Everyone * Attain divine energy * Relieve chronic diseases and pain * Optimize genetic cells * Re-activate your body's ability to self-heal * Awaken inner true-self Date & Time: September 26 - 28, 2019, starts at 2:00 pm Venue: GHMZ Health Hall 11 Liberty Street, Amsterdam, NY 12010 (518) 853-1873 firstname.lastname@example.org Global Health Promotion United Association
26 (Thursday) 2:00 pm - 28 (Saturday) 4:00 pm
GHMZ Health Hall
11 Liberty Street, Amsterdam, NY 12010
Guang Huan Mi Zong
Almost... Welcome to Almost, Maine, a town that’s so far north, it’s almost not in the United States—it’s almost in Canada. And it almost doesn’t exist. Because its residents never got
Event DetailsAlmost... Welcome to Almost, Maine, a town that’s so far north, it’s almost not in the United States—it’s almost in Canada. And it almost doesn’t exist. Because its residents never got around to getting organized. So it’s just…Almost. One cold, clear Friday night in the middle of winter, while the northern lights hover in the sky above, Almost’s residents find themselves falling in and out of love in the strangest ways. Knees are bruised. Hearts are broken. Love is lost, found, and confounded. And life for the people of Almost, Maine will never be the same. September 27 7:00 PM $12.00 general admission September 28 7:00 PM September 29 2:00 PM
27 (Friday) 7:00 pm - 29 (Sunday) 2:00 pm
Village of Hagaman Civic Center
86 North Pawling Street, Hagaman, NY
Foothills Arts Council
HUGE German themed block party on Bridge Street. German food, games, FREE rides, vendors, live music, Stein Hoisting, Costume Contest, Biergarten beer specials and more!
Event DetailsHUGE German themed block party on Bridge Street. German food, games, FREE rides, vendors, live music, Stein Hoisting, Costume Contest, Biergarten beer specials and more!
(Saturday) 3:00 pm - 10:00 pm
Bridge Street, Amsterdam, NY 12010
City of Amsterdam